Information About Memorial Union Guidelines
The Memorial Union works hard to inform students and student groups about relevant campus policies when they interact with us to reserve a table or collection bin.
(As of 4/2/2018) Students or student organizations not following UC Davis Campus Policies and Procedures as related to the Memorial Union are contacted via email.
The first violation of a specific type (i.e. tabling, flyer/posting, chalking, or collection bin reservation violation) is a warning, informing the students or student organizations that if they violate the same type of policy (i.e. tabling, flyer/posting, chalking, or collection bin reservation violation) again, they will lose tabling privileges until a meeting has occurred with the Director of the Memorial Union. The second violation of the same type (i.e. tabling, flyer/posting, chalking, or collection bin reservation violation) students or student organizations are informed their tabling privileges have been revoked and subsequent reservations have been canceled until a meeting has occurred with the Director of the Memorial Union.
Tabling at the Memorial Union
Per UC Davis PPM 310-25, The Information Desk coordinates table reservations for the Memorial Union and Silo. Reservations are available for registered student organizations and departments up to four weeks in advance and for nonprofit groups up to two weeks in advance. Online table reservations are only done for the first 3 weeks of fall quarter. Other than those 3 weeks, all table reservations must be made in person (unfortunately not over the phone or via email) at the Information Desk.
Online Table Reservations- Fall 2018
Online registration for Fall Quarter tabling at the Memorial Union and Silo begins Monday, August 27 at 10 a.m. Registration is online and first come, first serve for the first three weeks of Fall Quarter: Sept 24-28, Oct 1-5, and Oct 8-12.
How to Reserve a Table
Step 1: Create Profile
- Using the Campus Recreation and Unions online store, Create Profile
- Click “Login” then “UC Davis Students, Faculty, Staff (Kerberos Login)
- Your name should appear on the right hand corner of the screen and there should appear an option to go to “My Profile”
Step 2: Make the Reservation (starting Monday, August 27 at 10 a.m.)
- In the left-hand navigation bar, click on “Memorial Union”
- All tables for both the MU and the Silo will be listed. The easiest way to find your desired table is to search by:
- Location (MU or Silo)
- Day (i.e. Monday)
- Table number (i.e. 05)
- For example, type in MU Monday 24
- Individual sales item codes read as such: Location/Date/Table # i.e. an item with the sales item code: Silo24H indicates table H at the Silo on Sept. 27.
- Click the “Add to Cart” button for the table(s) you want to reserve.
- If/when tables have been reserved by another group, the button will show as “Class Full” and cannot be added to your cart.
- Review and accept the UCOP Activity Waiver
- Fill out the required form, the “Registered Student Organization Name”
- Once the transaction is completed, you will be sent an e-mail confirmation.
Day of Reservation during Fall Quarter
- Check in at Memorial Union Guest Services any time prior to 12 p.m.
- Tables not claimed by 12 p.m. are forfeited to waiting groups on a first come first serve basis.
- Reservations are not viewable online until 10am on August 27.
- All registered student groups have the same opportunity to reserve tables on a first come, first served basis. Only currently registered student organizations of CSI or Sport Clubs are able to make reservations in accordance with table reservation guidelines.
- There are 44 reservable spots at the Memorial Union (existing tables #1-22 and temporary spaces #23-44) and 10 tables at the Silo Union (A-J).
- If your group reserves a temporary space at the MU (#23-44), you are responsible for bringing your own table (and chairs if desired).
- Groups may reserve only one table per day.
- Table registration for the rest of the year is done in person at the Memorial Union Guest Services desk (second floor). You can reserve a table four weeks in advance.
Tabling Rules and Guidelines
- For-profit companies may not reserve tables at any time as UC Davis does not allow for commercial advertisement on campus (as cited in UC Davis Policy and Procedure Manual Chapter 310, section 25).
- Displays and activities associated with the table reservation cannot block the free flow of traffic or encroach on another table. Examples include:
- Bikes may not be leaned against the tables or trees.
- Standees/A-frames cannot block the walkways between or in front of tables.
- Pop-up tents or structures over the tables of any kind are not permitted as they are fire hazards.
- No posting is permitted on walls, windows, doors, trees or receptacles around the table, but posters may be attached to the table. Please remove all tape and zipties from the tables once finished (as cited in UC Davis Policy and Procedure Manual Chapter 310, Section 27).
- No amplified sound may be played from the tables without a sound permit.
- Here is where to go for a sound permit: Conference and Event Services.
- Tables are available for disseminating literature and information, recruiting members and approved fundraising activities only.
- Bakesale guidelines are created by UC Davis Safety Services.
- Commercial sales and activities are strictly prohibited. Organizations wishing to conduct commercial activities may contact the UC Davis Bookstore at 530-757-3080 to contract and pay for vendor space available for such activities.
- Tables are monitored by the Memorial Union Staff. Table Reservation Confirmation and Permit to Sell must be clearly displayed.
Collection Bin Reservations
Registered Student Organizations now must agree to advertise their Collection Drive using at least one of the following: Email Campaign, LCD Advertisement or Social Media.
- Each registered student organization is limited to one reservation per quarter/summer session.
- This reservation may be made as early as the first day of the preceding quarter/summer session.
- There are three Collection Bins located at the Memorial Union and the Student Community Center that can be reserved for two week periods (beginning on Wednesday ending on Tuesday). The Information Desk at the Memorial Union will approve the request for both locations.
- Collection Bins are provided and will be placed by 9 a.m. on the Wednesday your reservation begins. The Collection Bins are large red Rubbermaid trash bins, to accommodate your donations.
- Collection Bins must be labeled by 11 a.m. on the Wednesday your reservation begins.
- Labels must be typed, poster size (11” by 17”), and must indicate the type of drive, the organization name, and who the donations will go to.
- If the Collection Bins are not labeled by the deadline, your reservation may be forfeited.
- Collection Bins will be removed the Wednesday following the end of your reservation by 9 a.m., any unclaimed items will be donated to The Pantry or Aggie Reuse.
Prior to the recent remodel of the Memorial Union, registered student organizations could reserve display cases to advertise for their organization. There are nine LCD screens on the first and second floors that display student organizations and department advertisements, depending on other programming two screens will always play ads. Student Affairs Marketing and Communication takes submissions from registered student organizations and UC Davis Departments for up to two ads per quarter that can run for up to two weeks. To read more about submission guidelines, see the Student Affairs Marketing and Communications LCD Display Guidelines.